- Light the end of the bundle for 30 seconds.
- Blow out the flame so that the leaves begin to smoke.
- Lightly fan the bundle to encourage an even burn and release the fragrance.
Prior to burning cedar, some recommend setting intentions if you are smudging for spiritual, energetic, and negativity cleansing purposes. Additionally, remove all animals and people from the room to get into the mindset. It’s important to leave a window open before and after smudging to allow the smoke to escape. It is believed the smoke takes the negative energy with it, so make sure you keep this step in mind.
Smudge Your Home:
-After lighting, direct cedar smoke over all surfaces around your home and living area. Be thorough. Some recommend walking in a clockwise position around your home, but do what feels best for your situation and follow your intention.
Smudge An Object or Person:
Direct smoke around and over the object of your choice. This can be done to a new item, such as jewelry or furniture, to dispel it of any negative energy. Some burn cedar over special objects to acknowledge its association with a sacral meaning.
Light and burn cedar in your home to improve odor, fragrance, and mood. Place the bundle in a fireproof bowl after burning, and allow it to smoke for a while.
- When you are finished smudging, ensure your stick is completely extinguished by dabbing the lit end into a fireproof bowl of ash or sand.
- Once completely out, store it in a dry place away from the sun.
- Never leave burning cedar unattended.
- Setting off smoke alarms is common when burning cedar, so consider this possibility when smudging in a public building.
- People with asthma and other respiratory conditions could be more sensitive to the smoke.
- Always leave a window open while smudging.